The School Age program is an after school program for children entering Kindergarten through 12 years old. Our program is designed to support children with their academic needs. In order for children to thrive in their academic studying and develop a lifelong love of learning, they will need support and encouragement from all individuals that interact with them on a daily basis. At CFS, the school aged teachers are trained to help guide children in developing a strong foundation in their study routine starting from when they enter Kindergarten. CFS incorporated a consistent daily schedule for when children are encouraged to work on homework assignments and long term school projects. Additionally, CFS is committed to keeping an open line of communication with each child’s elementary school teacher to help support their academic growth.
CFS school aged teachers provide children with age-appropriate, enriched group activities based on children’s interests, strengths and needs to enhance social/emotional skills that children will need to manage the many conflicts that they will encounter throughout their adult lives. As children learn how to resolve conflicts with their peers, the teachers’ main role is to be facilitators and mediators.
What you will observe when you visit the School Age Room:
- Age appropriate furniture
- CFS projects, art works, and writing samples displayed on walls
- Academic materials available, such as dictionaries, thesaurus, encyclopedias, etc
- Teachers interacting with children at their level
- Children interacting with their friends
- Teachers assisting children with their homework or on a project for school
- Children collaborating with one another
- Teachers leading age appropriate group activities
- Children participating in clubs, such as math, literacy, music and drama
- Children enjoying fun physical activity in our outside environment